- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 shallots, finely chopped
- 1 cup wild rice
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 3 cups cooked long-grain brown rice
- 2/3 cup frozen baby peas, thawed
- Juice and grated zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon leaves
- Heat the oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Add the shallots, cover, and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer the sautéed shallots to a 3-1/2 to 4-quart slow cooker. Stir in the wild rice and stock, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Cook on low for 5 to 6 hours.
- About 10 minutes before serving, stir in the brown rice, peas, lemon juice and zest, and tarragon. Taste, adjust the seasonings, and serve.
This recipe is best with a slow cooker, so prep it the night before and start it in the morning.